The Implementation Support Unit was established in May 2015 to support and coordinate the work of the Convention on Cluster Munitions. This decision came out of a series of Meetings of States Parties, the first held in Beirut, Lebanon, in 2012.
The ISU is mandated to coordinate and provide support to the work of the CCM, inter alia, in the following ways:
- Assist the President and the President-Designate in all aspects of the Presidency; support the Coordinators in their tasks; prepare, support and follow up on tasks derived from decisions taken at formal and informal meetings of the Convention;
- Offer advice and support to States Parties on the implementation of the Convention;
- Develop and maintain a resource base of relevant technical expertise and practices and, upon request, provide States Parties with such resources;
- Facilitate communication among States Parties and other relevant actors, cooperate and coordinate amongst these and maintain public relations, including efforts to promote the universalization of the Convention;
- Keep records of formal and informal meetings under the Convention and other relevant knowledge products, expertise and information pertaining to the implementation of the Convention;
- Manage the Sponsorship Programme in collaboration with the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining (GICHD) by providing guidance, input and support as necessary;
- Serve as an interface between States Parties and the international community on issues related to the implementation of the CCM.
The ISU-CCM is hosted by the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining, as per the hosting agreement that was agreed upon between the States Parties and the GICHD.
Download the brochure on the mandate of the Implementation Support Unit.